While the web-site has seemed to be fairly dormant for a while, there’s been a lot going on behind the scenes. We’re now ready to share some of these details.
CoachProxy software version 2.0
- Support for 2018 model year is almost done.
- The work on the 2018 model year has been performed on a Phaeton 40IH, so newly shipped CoachProxy units for 2018 coaches may need some small amount of tweaking for other models and floor plans.
- The details page has been updated to reflect the current state.
- BIG DATA SAVINGS!
Prior to 2.0, if a CoachProxy tab was left open and remained active, it could use as much as 820mB per day! While this was an extreme case ( mobile browsers will suspend the tab after a while to prevent this level of usage while you’re not actively using the tab ), it was still something that I wanted to make better if I could. With the release of CoachProxy 2.0 software, we’ve reduced the daily usage from the maximum of 820mB to only… 129kB!!
Yes, you read that correctly, only 0.01% of the former usage! There will be more data usage as status changes are pushed to the device. A few examples:
Update Type Data used (bytes) Tank level update 134 bytes Non-dimmable light toggling on or off 226 bytes Dimmable light toggling on or off 277 bytes Open or Close a Vent Lid
Larger because the data is updated in multiple places in CoachProxy
The process to get and apply the 2.0 upgrade is documented in our Upgrade FAQ. While it’s not available *just yet*, it’ll be good to familiarize yourself with the process before its release.
New CoachProxy units getting ready!
- In our previous update, we hoped to have more stock available before the end of February.
- This is still the current plan, so stay tuned for an update to those on the waitlist for CoachProxy devices!
Project ownership change
- I’d like to introduce Mike Fischer!
- Mike will be taking over the CoachProxy project moving forward.
- He has a great background in development and lives full time on the road with his wife in their 2nd Tiffin coach, the 2018 Phaeton 40 IH.
- Mike has done practically all of the 2018 code changes himself and now has an extremely good understanding of how CoachProxy works, not just the device, but also all the server side glue that holds everything together.
- I’ll still be around to help Mike with any questions he has for the foreseeable future, but expect that to be far and few between due to his level of knowledge and skill.
- Note that Mike will continue to honor the existing warranty and support of all who have purchased CoachProxy.
- For those with Remote Access service:
- Since we have to change payment processing to go toward Mike’s business account, we will need your help to transfer your Remote Access subscription billing.
- This is a fraud prevention measure and will only occur one time.
- We do apologize for any inconvenience on this.
- A separate email will be sent to all current subscribers with further details.
- Please give Mike a warm welcome and follow him, Kathie and Opie (their dog) on their personal blog, Life Rebooted
Going Open Source!
- As Linux nuts, both Mike Fischer and I (Michael Kidd) are very big on Open Source projects.
- We both agree that open-source is the way of the future and will be pushing CoachProxy device code to a repository near you, very very soon.
- We’ll make another announcement providing further details on this once it’s available
As you can see.. quite a bit of work has been going on. CoachProxy will still be commercially available for those who just want a solution, but will also be easier for those who like to tweak and tinker themselves in the open source realm.
Thanks for all the interest in CoachProxy, now and into the future!